The University of Limerick Regional Writing Centre is holding its sixth annual National Secondary School Essay-writing Competition for Transition, 5th and 6th year secondary school students.
The competition will require that students take a decisive stance on the following prompt, which is to be explored in an essay of 800-1,000 words:
“Student loans will make graduates flee. Face it, tax is the best way to fund third level.”
– Niamh Hourigan, Sociology Department head at UCC–
Is Niamh Hourigan right? If not, what is the fairest way to fund third-level education?
The primary purpose of our competition is to give students the opportunity to engage in a social debate through writing and to prepare them for argumentative writing at third level. In addition, the competition highlights the University of Limerick’s commitment to supporting the educational advancement of prospective students. The Regional Writing Centre is dedicated to helping students to develop strategies to become more confident, critical and autonomous writers, able to write persuasively in all contexts, whether academic or professional.
The deadline for receipt of entries for this competition is Friday, 24th February, 2017, 3:00pm. The links to the rules and regulations of the competition, judging criteria, identification sheet and poster for the promotion of this competition can be found at the bottom of this page.
Three shortlisted winners in each year will be announced on Wednesday, 5th April, 2017, and prizes will be awarded at a special ceremony by the University of Limerick Vice President Academic and Registrar, Professor Paul McCutcheon on Monday, 24th April, 2017. The overall winner of the National Secondary School Essay-writing Competition for each year (Transition, 5th and 6th Year) will receive an android tablet, while the two runners up in each year will receive a €100 voucher.
Essay Writing Criteria
Writing General Rules
Student Essay Writing Competitionin: Contests | 09.07.2017
Essay writing is not just a method of academic assessment, but also an art. This is an art of reporting and describing about a topic. It not only requires storytelling skills, but also the presentation of the story. With our Essay Writing Competition, we want to discover essay writing talent from the student community. This also acts like scholarship for students and lighten their load of academic expenses.
This Essay Writing Competition will run a year long (till 1 June 2018) and each month, we will be announcing 13 prize winners.
So participate in our Essay Writing Competition to win cash prizes (top 3 winners) and13 top winners will get an opportunity to be our authors in our blog section, each month. We will inform the winners on their email ids and phone calls.
The entree to this competition is FREE.
- 1st Prize: $450
- 2nd Prize: $250
- 3rd Prize: $150
- 10 consolation prizes: Authorship on our blogs and 1 printed mug.
Essay topics (The topics might change each month)
1. My horror story regarding Plagiarism.
2. My experience of first day at university.
3. My idea for academic evaluation of students at university.
4. The future of university education in 22nd century.
5. My first internship experience.
6. Job or Startup after University?
7. Coping studies along with part time job.
8. Studies, Love, Passion… A deadly combination.
9. Getting my first job after university.
10. 5 things you would change in your university.
Kindly fill this form to confirm your registration (Compulsory)
- Choosing more than one topic is allowed. More than one submission is allowed.
- The decision of the judges of ExpertAssignmentHelp will be final and binding.
- ExpertAssignmentHelp reserves the right to use all the submitted entries for whatsoever purpose they deem fit.
- All entries will be checked for plagiarism. Plagiarized articles will be rejected and the participant will be banned from participating in any future competition as well.
- Language for the essays will be English only. .
- Participating in the event means that you agree to abide by all the rules of ExpertAssignmentHelp.
- You should be the only author of your essay. Co-authorship is not allowed.
- Formats accepted are .doc, .docx, .rtf
- Your essay document name should be in this form : <yourname>_<SEWC> and should be emailed to email@example.com
You will be allotted points under three sections as explained below. Finally, points from all the three segments will be added to judge the winners. The three segments are explained below.
1. Essay Content (200 points)
- Maintain word limit: Your essay should be in between 800- 1000 words.
- The essay is to be written in perfect English language.
- Your essay should be 100% plagiarism free. It will be checked on plagiarism check software before being considered.
- Use active voice, multiple paragraphs to make it readable, add pictures to make it engaging and interesting.
- Your story telling capability will be judged.
2. Announcement points: Sharing your participation on Facebook (Each announcement contributes 3 points)
It’s fun to get motivational wishes from your friends when you are participating in a competition. That is why we want you to share your participation news on your Facebook, so that your friends know about it. You would need to use hastag #EAHEssayCompetition along with your message. Do not miss to use this hashtag as our social media team will find your message using this hashtag.
You may use this message: “I am excited to participate in ExpertAssignmentHelp’s essay writing competition and win $450. #EAHEssayCompetition”
3. Social share points: Peer review through social media (Each ‘Like’ contributes 1 point)
We think peer review is an important factor to judge your essay. Top 13 essays will get space on our website under your authorship. We will be sharing the link with you which you can share through your social media and other channels. We will count the number of Facebook likes on your Essay page.
You may use this message: “I have participated in ExpertAssignmentHelp’s essay writing competition and have been selected in top 15. You can check my essay on the link below and read it. If you really like my essay, then press ‘Like’ button on the page. This will increase my chances of winning this essay competition “
Tags:International, Scolarships, Grants, Contests, competition, opportunities