The Intelligence Bureau ( Ministry of Home Affairs ) conducts the ACIO exam for recruitment of assistant central intelligence officers. It is a Grade – II, Group – C ( Non-gazetted, Non-ministerial ), executive post with the Intelligence Bureau.
It is a very prestigious exam similar to other government exams such as the SSC CGL. When it comes to exam pattern, the sections / syllabus / topics are similar however, the presentation is differs. Thus, the exam attempt strategy varies accordingly.
In this post we would discuss each of the sections of the IB ACIO exam in detail. We would take a look at the common question types and provide preparation tips for the same. Let us first take a look at the examination pattern.
IB ACIO Exam 2017 : Exam Pattern
IB ACIO Tier-I Exam : Paper Pattern ( Objective Type )
|Section||No. Of Questions||Marks||Time|
|General Awareness||25||25||60 minutes|
*There will be negative marking of ¼ mark for each wrong answer.
IB ACIO Tier-II Exam : Paper Pattern ( Descriptive Type )
|Essay Writing||30||60 minutes|
|English Comprehension & Précis Writing||20|
- Only those candidates would be called for Tier-II exam who qualify a certain standard in Tier-I. For Tier-II examination, there is a minimum cut off of 33%.
- On the basis of their combined performance in Tier-I and Tier-II, the candidates would be short listed for the interview.
Click To Start IB ACIO 2017 Preparation With Oliveboard
- The final selection would be made on the basis of combined performance in all the selection stages.
IB ACIO Exam 2017 : General Awareness Section
In this section most of the questions would be related :
- Security issues
- Geo-political issues
- Social issues
- Issues related to war, scams etc.
- About intelligence agencies like CIA, IB, KGB etc.
It is important to understand the issues along with knowing the “what-s” and the “when- s”. Reading newspapers regularly should help you cover all the necessary current affairs.
Other topics that you should prepare are :
For this, the best resource would be the NCERT books.
Click Here To Learn To Read Newspapers Effectively For Exams
IB ACIO Exam 2017 : Quantitative Aptitude Section
The quantitative aptitude questions are similar to the ones asked in the SSC CGL paper. The difficulty level is also found to be more or less the same. One can expect some direct questions. Also, the questions in the IB ACIO exam tend be more tricky than lengthy. Hence, it is a good idea to have a stronghold over the basics and then move on to keeping short tricks handy.
Some important topics for the quant section of the IB ACIO 2017 exam are mentioned below.
- Simplification / Approximation
- Quadratic Equations
- Number Series
- Time, Speed and Distance
- Age Based Problems
- Averages, Mixtures & Alligation
- SI & CI
- Percentages, Partnerships, Profit & Loss
- Time & Work
Click To Start IB ACIO 2017 Preparation With Oliveboard
IB ACIO Exam 2017 : English Language Section
The questions types in this section can be broadly categorized under 4 main categories.
- Grammar : Error Spotting, Phrase Replacement, Fill in the Blanks, Active & Passive Voice, Direct & Indirect Speech
- Vocabulary : Phrase Replacement, Error Spotting, Cloze Test, Spellings, Synonyms & Antonyms, Phrase – Idiom Meaning, One Word Substitution, Fill in the Blanks
- Reading Comprehension : Vocabulary-based, Fact-based and Inference-based
- Verbal Ability : Para Jumbles and Sentence Jumbles
Click To Start IB ACIO 2017 Preparation With Oliveboard
One must realise that scoring in the English section is always easier as it is less time consuming. However, there is a caveat : one MUST establish a stronghold over basics such as grammar and vocabulary. In the following section, we share some tips for the RC section. Many people face problems here, so read the following tips to ace your RCs.
- Strictly stick to what is given in the passage and assume NOTHING else; even if it is true in day today situations. Do NOT make any assumptions whatsoever.
- It is essential to balance speed and accuracy to score well in any competitive exam. The best way in which you can gauge this is via practicing multiple mock tests. Mock tests not only condition you for the real time exam but also help you analyze your areas of strength and weaknesses.
- RC passages can range from a variety of topics such as: Philosophy, Psychology, Economics, Politics or even Science. We never know what might come our way. Hence, it is important that we establish a level of comfort with all such genres by reading from multiple sources. Newspapers, especially the editorials and the weekend specials are a good place to start.
- A major problem that all candidates face while solving RC questions is that they get confused between 2 options. This happens because we read to understand only what the statements say; whereas the RC questions demands our understanding of the writer’s/author’s perspective as well (this is known as reading between the lines).
IB ACIO Exam 2017 : Logical / Analytical Ability Section
Important topics for the reasoning section.
- Similarities and Differences
- Spatial Visualization and Orientation
- Problem Solving
- Decision Making
- Relationship Concepts
- Arithmetic Reasoning
- Verbal and Figure Reasoning
- We suggest the following preparation strategy for your IB ACIO 2017 Exam:
Brush up concepts -> Practice Questions -> Solve Previous year question papers -> Revise -> Take Full Mock Tests
2. After learning each topic, take a sectional test for that topic to measure your progress. Continue learning and practicing till you’re thorough in that concept and then move on to the next one.
3. Chances of questions similar to ones that appeared in 2016 paper appearing in the 2017 exam are high. Solving previous year reasoning question paper will familiarize you with the question patterns and difficulty levels.
4. Revision is important to retain the concepts learnt. Revise each concept 2-3 times before the exam. It’s also important that you practice sectional tests after revising each topic to master it.
5. Take full-length mock tests after your preparation to measure your progress. Mock tests provide you instant feedback in the form of analytics, which will help you determine your speed & accuracy in solving questions and identify your strong and weak areas. You can also use your performance analysis to fine-tune your preparation by practicing more questions from topics you’re weak or slow at.
Hope this helps.
All the best!
Oliveboard All India Test Series
2 months ago .
IB ACIO Tier II exam is going to take place on 25th February 2018. As you can see there is not much time left for your preparations. To boost up your exam preparations we have come up with some Preparation Tips for IB ACIO Mains tailored made just for you. Also, have a look at IB ACIO Mains Syllabus in detail to know about the topics that are likely to be asked in your exam. But before we move ahead with anything, it’s always better to have a look the exam pattern for IB ACIO Mains. Moreover, you can also solve free mock tests of IB ACIO here.
IB ACIO Tier II Exam Pattern
The Tier II exam will be of 50 marks and will consist questions from two subjects.
|Essay (1 Topic)||30||1 Hour|
- This is a Written Descriptive Paper.
- The Minimum Cut off for Tier II is 33%.
IB ACIO Mains Syllabus
1. IB ACIO Mains Syllabus – Essay
In this section, you will be asked to write an essay (only one) from the given topics. Check out few Essay Topics that are likely to be asked in IB ACIO Mains.
- Corruption in India
- Scrapping of Planning Commission
- How to deal with natural disasters in India?
- Unemployment in India
- Depreciation of Indian Rupee
- India’s food security plan
- How Safe are girls in India?
- Role of media in India
- Jan Lokpal Bill
- Legalising prostitution in India
- Price Rise
- Rise in crime rate in India
- Delhi Smog
- Important Foreign Policies
- Area sensitive events around the globe.
In Reading Comprehension & Precis Writing, the paragraphs will be based on general topics related to Intelligence, Banking, Current Affairs, Opinions, polls etc. Precis Writing means making a holistic/intelligent summary of a long paragraph. You need to have a clear understanding of the passage to write a precis.
Now that you know about the exam pattern and the syllabus for IB ACIO Mains, let’s take a look at few important preparations tips to help you score better.
Tips for IB ACIO Mains 2017
1. Tips for IB ACIO Mains- Essay
- First and foremost, you need to have a strong hold over your English Vocabulary in order to write a high scoring essay.
- You should not use complicated words that you don’t fully understand. While a good vocabulary goes a long way, using a word wrongly will affect your score. So make sure you use your words right.
- Start practicing by writing small paragraphs on relevant topics.
- Creating a good introduction and conclusion will help you put your idea more firmly.
- Once you build up your basic skills, you need to strengthen them further with the help of Current Affairs notes and Financial Awareness Notes.
- While preparing, make note of latest events, important quotes, statistical data and keywords from your study material. Build your opinion both ‘for’ as well as ‘against’ various issues. You never know which side of a story you will be asked to explain in the exam. It will also help with the GD and PI preparation.
- Your essay should give an impression that your thought process is organized and based on factual observation.
- Always follow the simple rule of Quality over Quantity, no need to put irrelevant information just because you are falling short of the word limit.
- Whenever there is a choice, do not select a difficult topic just to impress the examiner. Pick the topic that you are most familiar with and can bolster with factual data.
- Structuring your essay is the most important thing of all, it shows how organized you are with your thoughts and you know what should be the best priority order of the content. We suggest you follow this order:
- What is the need?
- Pros and Cons related to the topic.
- Main body explaining your plan, need to do so, your research etc.
- Result of your research/experiment/your final opinions
- Good Conclusion summarizing all the point of the essay in brief.
Format of Essay Writing
- Also, Check out the following Essays topics:
Impact of Social Media on Indian Society Essay on Women Empowerment in India
2. Tips for IB ACIO Mains – English Comprehension & Precis Writing
Reading comprehension passages are usually followed by a number of questions that will assess your ability to understand and critically analyze the information provided, your vocabulary and grammar and, in some cases, how well you write. Let us take a look at few preparation tips that will help you score good marks in English Comprehension.
- Build your English Vocabulary, this will help you understand complex sentences and words quickly.
- So start reading good books, newspapers and put down the new words you learn when you are preparing. This will also increase your reading speed.
- Start managing your time efficiently!
- If you spend too much time on the passage, you may run out of time while answering other questions.
- Prepare your own method to solve RC questions, it can vary from person to person. Like someone might take a brisk look at the questions first and then read the passage and start making bullet points or vice versa.
- Start identifying the types of questions that are asked. They can be fact based or inference based.
- Lastly, it is of utmost importance that you give your fullest attention to the passage at hand.
- Improving your reading speed and concentration will go a long way in ensuring that you are able to handle the reading comprehension with ease.
We hope that these preparation Tips for IB ACIO Mains were helpful to you. Also, check out these articles to improve your Mains score:
Speed Reading Techniques for Reading Comprehension
General Tips for Reading Comprehension in English
Tips for Reading Comprehensions on Economics & Banking
You can also practice online mock tests for various other government exams, click on the link below to start practicing.
Practice Free Online Mock Tests
Discuss your queries regarding Tips for IB ACIO Mains with our expert and fellow aspirants on our Discuss platform.
Go to Testbook Discuss