Secondary Essay Prompts for the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine
Below are the secondary essay prompts for the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine in El Paso, TX.
2016 – 2017
- “The mission of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center – Paul L. Foster School of Medicine is to provide an outstanding education and development opportunities for a diverse group of students, residents, faculty, and staff; advance knowledge through innovation and research; and serve the needs of our socially and culturally diverse communities and regions.” Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school. (300 words or less)
- Please describe how a parent, guardian, friend, relative, or mentor influenced your aspirations to obtain a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)
- The TTUSHC medical student honor code states “In my capacity as a Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine medical student, I will uphold the dignity of the medical profession. I will, to the best of my ability, avoid actions which might result in harm to my patients. I will protect the dignity of my patients and the deceased, and will protect their confidential information in accordance with the prevailing standards of medical practice. I will not lie, cheat, or steal. I will enter into professional relationships with my colleagues, teachers, and other health care professionals in a manner that is respectful and reflective of the high standards and expectations of my profession. I will not tolerate violations of this Code by others and will report such violations to the appropriate authorities.” Please describe briefly past experiences or personal attributes that reflect your affinity with this honor code. (300 words or less)
- Please describe any personal experiences or disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)
Secondary Essay Prompts for the State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
Below are the secondary essay prompts for the State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine in Brooklyn, NY.
2017 – 2018
- If there were periods longer than 3 months, from the time you graduated from high school to now, when you were not employed full-time or in college full-time, please briefly describe your activities. (Limit 150 words)
- This is a straightforward response. For traditional applicants (rising seniors), this is an opportunity to explain unusual circumstances or gaps in time. For non-traditional applicants, this is an opportunity to talk about any gaps in time and also what you have done since graduation. Situations to comment on would include: periods when you were ill, periods when you were studying for the MCAT, periods where you were looking for work.
- If you are not attending college full time as of September 15, please describe your activities for the period September 15 to July 1. (Limit 150 words)
- This is for our gap year students to explain how you are filling your time since graduation. Be specific – include jobs, internships or research, volunteering, and hobbies. You can mention any goals you have for your gap year.
- If you are not from the 5 boroughs of New York City, describe what personal, urban experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City, and what will be your personal support system. (Limit 150 words)
- The reader wants to know that you will be comfortable in Brooklyn. If you haven’t lived in an urban area, this would be a place to talk about why you would like to! You should talk about close friends or family members who live in the area who will be able to guide you about the ins and outs of living in that area.
- If you had a completed application to the College of Medicine in a prior application cycle, please highlight any changes since your previous application in a list with dates. (Limit 150 words)
- This question is specific to reapplicants. Use this space to give details on how you spent your application year, or subsequent years since you last applied (jobs, research, volunteering, anything productive!) Answer in the format they request (CV type).
- If you have a specific reason why you wish to attend SUNY Downstate or a medical school in New York City, please explain. (Limit 150 words)
- This is an ideal place to talk about any connections to Downstate that you have – any friends, mentors, letter writers, colleagues that have talked to you about Downstate. This is also where you can mention something you are drawn to: curriculum, patient population, type of classmate, type of teacher, location.